Laumeier Sculpture Park presents its 28th Annual Art Fair on Mother’s Day weekend, May 8–10, 2015. More than 15,000 patrons attend this annual three-day event featuring local food vendors, a wine garden, live music, the Creation Location for kids, and 150 juried artists exhibiting work in ten categories. Media categories include ceramics, fiber/textiles, glass, jewelry, mixed media 2D, painting, photography/digital, printmaking/drawing, sculpture, and wood.
Highlights of the weekend include Friday evening’s Art of the Vine, a special wine tasting event featuring unlimited samples from the following participating wineries: Blumenhof Winery, Bommarito Estate Almond Tree Winery, Noboleis Vineyards, Peaceful Bend Vineyard, Stone Hill Winery, and Sugar Creek Winery. Saturday afternoon’s Art of the Ale, presented by Schlafly, features a special beer tasting and Q&A, including unlimited samples of classic, seasonal and special-release Schlafly beers. The City of Sunset Hills Music Festival on Saturday afternoon features performances by Miss Jubilee & the Humdingers, The Dust Covers, and One More Round. Laumeier’s Creation Location for Kids, free with Art Fair admission, is open throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday, offering family activities and entertainment. Finally, the popular Mother’s Day Brunch on Sunday morning features a lively, family-friendly atmosphere.
Here’s a video of Miss Jubilee & the Humdingers. Be sure to hear them at the Art Fair!
28th Annual Art Fair
Laumeier Sculpture Park, 12580 Rott Road, St. Louis, MO 63127
Friday, May 8, 6 to 10 pm
Saturday, May 9, 10 am to 8 pm
Sunday, May 10, 10 am to 5 pm
Tickets: $10, Ages 12 and up; $5, Ages 6 to 11; FREE, Ages 5 and under
Art Fair Program Booklet
Special Events during the Art Fair
Art of the Vine
Friday, May 8, 6 to 9 pm
$12, Ages 21 and up
Art Fair admission required
Art of the Ale, Presented by Schlafly
Saturday, May 9, 5 to 8 pm
$10, Ages 21 and up
Art Fair admission required
Mother’s Day Brunch, Presented by Whole Foods Market
Sunday, May 10, 10:15 am and 11:45 am
$50, Ages 12 and up ($40 for Laumeier Members)
$15, Ages 6 to 11
FREE, Ages 5 and under
Tickets for Art Fair, Art of the Vine, and Art of the Ale can be purchased at the gate or in advance online. Tickets for the Mother’s Day Brunch must be purchased online in advance.
Creation Location for Kids | Entertainment Events
Saturday, May 9, 1 to 2 pm: Tropical Fire Hula
Sunday, May 10, 11:30 am to 12:15 pm AND
1 to 1:45 pm: Juggling Jeff
Map of Art Fair (Creation Location is number 6 on this map.)
Creation Location for Kids | Art Projects
* Wind-Powered Whirligigs: Children make their very own functional whirligig (or pinwheel) that spins in the wind. Kids can decorate them using fun colors and patterns or make them look like an animal with moving wings or fins.
* Funky Fresh Foam Sculptures: Participants create a variety of sculptural creations using polyethylene foam scraps (donated by Robot Monkey Lab, Inc.), including some that hang and spin.
* irRESISTible watercolors: Youth use wax crayons, stickers, or tape to block off shapes/areas of paper to be left white, called a “resist.” Then kids watercolor the paper and remove the stickers or tape to reveal white areas. The wax crayons will naturally repel the watercolor.
* A “Construction Zone” with free play building blocks are available for younger kids.
* Be on the lookout for Evie, a solar-powered vehicle from the Saint Louis Science Center. She comes with lots of information and displays about renewable energy. Evie was the inspiration for Laumeier’s Wind-Powered Whirligigs project.
The Art Fair is generously sponsored by Emerson, the City of Sunset Hills, Ameren, Edward Jones, and Jamba Juice, with media support from KDHX, KTRS, Riverfront Times, Sauce Magazine, St. Louis Public Radio, and Y98.
Photography: Laumeier Sculpture Park